Figure: Birds transported inside the chilling room
The chilling process is very important in poultry slaughtering technology. For long life of carcasses, the most effective chilling system is air-chilling in tunnels, on the overhead conveyor. Design of the overhead conveyor allows for any horizontal and vertical layout of its course. This is why, for effective use of space, the conveyor is usually mounted on two levels in the chilling room.
Design and operation:
A standard overhead conveyor is based on 1” carrying chain. The main components of the conveyor include: a drive unit, a tension unit, straight tracks, vertical bends, chain trolleys, shackles, horizontal turning bends, which – depending on bird size and carcass hanging system (one, two or more on a single shackle) – can have different diameters: Ø 291, 340, 388, 436, 485mm, and in some cases even more. The chain conveyor is suspended from the supporting structure, which is manufactured separately in accordance with customer’s guidelines. Depending on its length and load, the conveyor can be equipped with one or more drive and tension units.
Advantages of the overhead conveyor:
- design of individual components and methods of connecting them, allow for deploying any layout of the conveyor, which will satisfy customer’s needs and requirements,
- simple design allows for fast and easy replacement of parts,
- 1” carrying chain allows for using various shackle sizes, at spacing which will match the transported poultry type,
- simple and clear design provides easy access to individual components for proper cleaning and maintenance,
- the use of high-quality materials ensures durability and failure-free operation.